Friday 30 May 2014

backpackers guide to the galaxy

So it's been 6 whole months since I set off on my world adventures and I have only just found time to blog.

I would apologise but why would I?
I've been having the time of my life!

There is soooo much I could write, and I will, in time, but for now I think I'll start with some advice about what to take travelling. These are my backpacking essentials, obviously the things you need will vary depending on where you're going. But my list relates to my travels in South East Asia, New Zealand and Australia.

So here it is, my backpacker's guide to the galaxy!

1. Camera
Without a doubt the most important possession for travelling is a camera. It is the best way to capture your memories, document your adventures and remember all the amazing people (and animals) that you met along the way. Another great tip is to back up your photos! I am using Flickr as you get a terabyte for free and can share the link to family and friends, and also link with social networks. There are loads of alternatives such as dropbox and photobucket, but you do not want to be the poor chum who is sticking posters around the hostel saying you've lost your camera and all you want back is the memory card... you're never seeing it again.

2. USB adapter
Okay now this might sound ridiculous to be at the top of my list but trust me, it is extremely useful. In an age where Cambodia doesn't have roads but has free wifi, the backpacker scene is smothered by smart phones and tablets. I brought with me a Swiss world adapter which has two USB ports but is a bit chunky and has a hard time staying in those dodgy kiwi plugs. I would recommend a small plug, long cable and a female usb connection.

3. Pain killers galore
Pretty much everywhere you're going you can buy your essentials, including medicine and toiletries. So there's no need to worry if you've forgotton your medication and have already left home. But just remember that a lot of places you're headed to like Laos have no rules, so if you're in need of dirhoeea tablets (and trust me, you'll need em), don't be surprised when you're served by a 10 year old boy who can't understand anything but you acting out a stomach ache, and you are given a strip of pills with no English words, no leaflet and no box to go with it. My advice? Strepsils, plenty of supermarket brand ibuprofen and a stash of Imodium.

4. Travel towel
Forget the days of walking into your hotel room and being treated to mini toiletries, a hairdryer and a nice big fluffy towel. Your roll up microfibre towel is your only towel and your new best friend. He always smells, he's always wet, but boy you'll be happy you brought him along. Hint: get an extra large one.

5. Zip lock bags
This might sound like a joke, it's not. These little buggers can be a life saver.
You're toiletries burst? Zip lock bag.
You're underwear stinks? Zip lock bag.
Valuables at a pool party? Zip lock bag.
I believe in zip lock bags, say it with me now!

6. LED torch
For those times when you're in a 12 bed dorm, the lights are off and you need to find your toothbrush. Some would just bite the bullet and wake up your fellow travellers. But for those who actually care, a torch is a good idea. Rummaging through your bag is much easier when you can see, and it will also come in handy when you walk back from the beach at midnight and the point of street lights seem to be lost on the town folk. Also great for caving and other, well, dark circumstances.

7. Insect repellent and bite cream
Whether you are going somewhere hot or cold, us Brits just cannot seem to get along with blood suckers. Regardless of all the deet you cover yourself in, the reality is that you are going to get bitten, a lot. So take with a bite relief stick or cream to soften the blow. On the subject of repellent, you may think that jungle formula is the one, but if you don't want to gas yourself and your posse then go for a better smelling one! In Thailand they do a great spray in a bright orange can, I definitely recommend it, and it even has a hint of a citrus! Lovely!

8. Waterproof coat
If you're a Brit like me and you think you are escaping the wet weather, you thought wrong. No matter where you go, it is inevitably going to rain on you. Do yourself a favour and pack a waterproof mac/ cagoule/ anorak. This is more for the long term travellers that can't chase the sunshine everywhere, but remember that even if you are soaking up the rays on the beach, the weather can, and it will, turn on you.

So that's it! There you have it! You're essentials for your trip escaping the real world. I have a few choice words to say about backpacks but I think I'll leave that for my next post. Those bloody useless, inconvenient things!!! :)

Happy travels everyone!

Written in Melbourne, Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment