Sunday 22 June 2014

don't take a backpack backpacking

Picture this. I'm planning my trip around the world, buying all my gear, choosing what clothes I should leave behind, and then it dawns on me, how am I going to carry all this! If I could go back to November 2013 and tell myself one thing, I would say...
DO NOT BRING A BACKPACK!!!!
Okay so I know that loads of people will disagree with me, and those are the people who are travelling in remote places where the ground is all moss, dirt or rocks, and yeah in that situation, take a backpack. But 99% of the time, it's the same route - South East Asia, New Zealand, Australia and North America. I've met the odd traveller going through India and other countries, but at the moment these are the places to be.
The beaten track, as you might guess, has roads! Yes, they have smooth surfaces on the ground that wheels roll along. This leads me to say...
Why didn't I bring a large, practical suitcase!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah the frustration is endless, and almost every girl I have spoken to on my journey agrees with me, and the boys, well they just shrug and say it's alright because they don't wanna seem weak or lazy.
But honestly, you do not need to go through all of the stress of having to put everything exactly where it came from in the horrendous tetris game that is a backpack. Get a lightweight, reasonably medium sized case, and have a good time! I am 6 months into my trip and I have only picked the thing up 3 or 4 times (thank f**k mine has wheels) and this was only for getting on and off boats.
Okay. Sorry. Rant over. I'm such a flash packer. Do what you want, honestly...
:)

1 comment:

  1. Haha I liked my backpack but next time I would get one that zips all the way down so I could get to everything :)

    ReplyDelete